Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Thanksgiving


Thanksgiving was going to be a flying holiday. We were scheduled to fly to my folks on Thanksgiving day- then the next day fly to Atlanta where we would spend the weekend with April's parents and her sister and brother-in-law.

We arrived in Portland and headed to my folks house.

"You sure you want to tell your parents?" April asked.

"Yea, I just don't know how to do it yet. I have an idea though."

"What's that?"

"Well, I'll give thanks, and thank each one for being there and the one to come."

My folks had already had one surprise that week-- my brother Ron surprised them by coming down for the holiday weekend. Dad was in Alaska on business, and when my brother took him to the airport Ron told him that he was coming with them. April and I were told of the plans- and our role was to make sure they were going to stay home for Thanksgiving-- by us coming up there.

It is always fun to come to a house that is filled with holiday smells. Mom was upset because she didn't make everything from scratch, and April went right into the kitchen and helped mom with everything she could.

As we sat down dad asked who would say grace, and I volunteered. I asked the Lord's blessing on each by name, and "the one who is yet to come."

After we said "amen" I said, "That is just my way of telling you that April is pregnant and you are going to be grandparents, and Ron you are going to be an uncle."

There were smiles all around the table - -mom said, "Finally! You were able to do what Jimmy couldn't." Jimmy, my brother, who three years ago died of lung cancer, had been married for 25 years. He had Hodgkin's cancer as a young man in the Navy, and apparently the radiation had cured that cancer, but left him infertile. My oldest brother, Ron, was, at 60 years old, still a bachelor.

They were so excited, and so happy. After dinner we returned to our hotel, and the next morning me them for breakfast before we flew to Atlanta.

At breakfast dad reminded me that his dad was 54 when he was born. Mom said that the first thing she and dad talked about that morning was being grandparents.

Mom and April spent a lot of time chatting and as we were driving to the airport April said to me, "You are marrying your mom. She was a tom-boy and an artist, and look at me. I just love your mum."

It was the happiest I had seen my parents since my brother died three years ago. Now there would be new life in this Simpson family.

I cannot put into words how my heart soared.

No comments:

Post a Comment