Monday, August 9, 2010

Becoming the best diaper changer


Hey JJ,

Its morning- and for most of the last 20 days of your life, every morning your grandpa and I would sit up with you- sneak a bottle to you, and rock you. Your grandpa and your uncle Peter had to go back to China, so this morning your mom and I had the duty. Thankfully your grandma is still here.

We miss your grandpa and uncle- and somewhere inside you do too. You are starting to notice things.

Yesterday when your mom came in the room and started to talk, you turned your head toward her- you started moving your feed as if to propel yourself to her- and started to fuss. As soon as you mom picked you up and kissed you the fussing stopped.

I don't know if you notice me yet- that's ok- I didn't carry you for nine months. I'm the guy who tries hard to change most of your diapers. Why diapers? Because that is the one thing I can do. Most of the feeding is from your mom, and other than an occasional bottle, I can't help you with that. But I can give you a bit of comfort - and you seem to be fastidious. You notice when your backside is wet! So I vowed to become the best diaper changer I could be - just like striving to be the best surgeon I can be - changing your diaper with rapid surgical skill. Ok- I installed a surgical scrub solution by your diaper changing table.

Odd, if someone would have told me a year ago that I would be working on improving my diaper changing skills I would have wondered what insane asylum they came from. But, in 20 days I've changed over 100 diapers - and am working on making it fast and comfortable for you. Because this is the simple thing I can do to make you comfortable. Amazing, you fuss and cry when your diaper needs changing, and while I am changing it you fuss and cry - then once the new diaper is on you stop crying and almost smile.

Someday son, you will not need diapers- but I have a bigger more ambitious plan. I want to be the best father I can be.

Love,

Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment