Friday, November 5, 2010

The person I most want to meet

Grandpa George- one of the first fathers to tell me about the joy of being a dad

But that love came the minute I knew you were going to be

and even traveling with you is a joy. Don't want to travel without you

And my dad (snuck this photo of you two). 86 years he waited to be a grandpa


Dear JJ,

Every year people ask - who is the person you most want to meet - in all of history.  In the past I said I would love to sit down and chat with Thomas Jefferson, or Bertrand Russell, or anyone of a number of interesting characters.  This morning that question was answered for me.

History and political science, and many things capture my interest.  And having the opportunity to sit down with great historical figures- or even some contemporary ones, would be a lot of fun.  I'd love to have coffee with Bill Clinton, or George Bush - chat with them about what makes them tick.

Then I thought about the conversations that I have enjoyed over the last few months- and how being a dad has taken over many of them.  I'm pretty sure people are sick of me talking about the wonders fatherhood.  But dads aren't, nor are moms.  The little gems I pick up from dads -- like my dad, Grandpa Jim - or your other grandpa George -- those are precious.  We have this exclusive club - fatherhood-- one that I am a member of.

The person I most want to meet in history is you- when you are at the stage where I am- having a child and seeing the wonders of it all. 

So, JJ-- take your time being a dad- and I'm going to hang in here - and hope that I can pass some pearl off to you about the joys and wonders of the club -- the club of dads


Love,

Dad

Your new friend. Who is as big with you as Dr. Lucky is with me

Always with a smile

And no doubt scared some goblins away at Halloween

No comments:

Post a Comment