Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day


Dear JJ,

Today is Memorial Day - the last Monday in May, when we honor those who died in the service of their country. Some of us choose to remember those who have died and who served - like my brother - the person you are named after.

Jimmy served in the US Navy - and there was a period of time when his battleship the USS Henderson went into silence. He never talked about what happened - but after Jimmy died we discovered he had three metals for his service.

More important than military service was the type of person he was: he loved kids (and had he lived to know you he would have spent hours playing with you) - he loved dogs (the photo is of him with Chili ) and when he died, at age 55 -- at his Memorial Service there were so many people who knew him from high school (the Memorial Service was in Oregon, he went to high school in Alaska). Jimmy had a smile, he would lend a hand to any, and if you felt bad Jimmy always had a way of making you feel good.

Jimmy and your uncle Ron were best friends - they grew up together-- I came along six years after Jimmy. But Jimmy had a way of making everyone feel like they were his best friend.

So, son - I wanted you to know something about the man you are named after. Know this- there are a lot of people who want to meet you - who love you already (besides your mom and I).

While I don't want to discount Memorial Day - and those who gave their lives serving - what I have learned is this: it isn't how you die that makes a mark on this world - it is how you live. It doesn't matter how much you make-- your riches are your friends. And at the most inconvenient time for you to help someone - is often the time they need it the most, and will remember it the most.

Love,
Dad

1 comment:

  1. Dear Cousin JJ,

    Uncle Terry is right. There is more to life than wealth and material objects. You will be far more happier and successful living a life rich with love and beautiful friendships! Your father has been a tremendous inspiration and support to me. In times During many tough times -- when I have found myself alone, lost, confused, helpless and in need of family and friends ... your parents have always been there for me, with words of encouragement, unconditional love, and endless support.

    Have faith that you have an older cousin who will always be there for you like your parents have been here for me. Although, at this time in my life, I am still lost and struggling, I hope that one day I will be an inspiration to you like your parents have been for me.

    I cannot wait to meet you JJ!

    Love,

    Your Cousin Ashley

    ReplyDelete