Thursday, May 17, 2012

Holding you tight

Dear JJ,

Today one of my patient's told me about her young husband who died.  They have three children the youngest is 9 years old.

Our time on this earth is limited, son. We can't live forever, and you are named after my brother, who died at age 55 - the age I will be soon.  I don't know how long I have on this earth, or you have, or your mother has.  But I know this - every morning when  you see me and smile and say "daddy" gives me a big smile. Every day when I come home and you want to show me something, or have me pick you up and wrestle with you, makes me glad.

My life has been made better for you.  I am lucky to have a dad who is still alive - and I hope you get to know me for a long time.

But forgive me if tonight I just hold you extra tight.

Love,

holding you tight as we watch the moon
Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment