Saturday, December 15, 2012

A dad's worst fear

Dear JJ,

Yesterday a gunman went into an elementary school and killed 20 children, ages 6 and 7 years old. It was a horrible act of violence.

While many people are using this to discuss the politics of change with guns, or what it means for the mental health of our society, for me it means I can't always keep you safe. The first day you were born your mom and I were up all night just watching you sleep, and smiling at each other - but we were really keeping watch. Today I found a bookshelf that we will secure to the wall, after you started to climb it. When you discovered you could go through the doggie door, it was yet another place that we had to watch out for you.

The hard part about being an older parent is I know I am mortal.  But when I hear about children dying, it reminds me - you are mortal too. So I'm going to enjoy every minute we have together. Sorry if I hug you extra tight sometimes, and if I want more kisses - but you don't seem to mind.

Love,

Dad
Noodles for my boy



You should be comfortable when you sleep

A happy boy - 

These are my favorite moments

No comments:

Post a Comment