Saturday, November 5, 2011

Returning to Ketchikan



Coming to my hometown, Ketchikan, with my son
Dear JJ,

I grew up in this little town called Ketchikan, Alaska - about 5000 residents (if you counted dogs and cats). When I went away to college in 1974 I came back for summers until 1978 - and after my folks left there didn't seem to be much of a reason to return. 

For years Ketchikan, Alaska,  my hometown,  didn't cross my  mind  - then you came along. Now there was this need to connect where I grew up with you.   You and your mom awakened something- because I connected here I want to share this special little place I grew up with your uncle Jimmy and Ron. 

Something about the town I grew up in, now makes a place in me. So this  September we made a trip back to the hometown - and something tells me we will be going back again.

Here are some early and current photos

Love,

Dad

Tower Road today- paved
Tower Road in 1956 with Your Uncle Jimmy



The last time this cedar fence was stained was when I did it in 1978

Behind our garage you can see a bit of the fence left

From our house looking down Alaska Ave. in 1975

Your Grandpa built this house

Uncle Ron and Uncle Jimmy

Flying to Metlakatla to fly to Oregon

Uncle Jimmy, your dad, and Uncle Ron- on Tower Road

The house Grandpa Built- 3903 Alaska Ave

Your dad, uncle Jimmy, uncle Ron getting ready for School

Creek Street in 1965 - more later

Sept 2011 - looking up Tower Road

The house grandpa built today in Sept 2011

Our old backyard has been overgrown but mom's flowers are still blooming

This was one way we had to get off the island!

Our house on the corner of Alaska Ave and Tower Road - 1968

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic pictures, Terry. I visited Ketchikan only once but had a fantastic time walking around and visiting with the people who lived there. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete